Business fraternity seeks members

By Kelsey Caudill

One fraternity is seeking male and female students of all majors who are interested in professionalism to join its ranks.

Alpha Kappa Psi, a co-ed business fraternity at UK, held its spring rush this week.

President Jennfier Ydoate, an accounting and finance junior, said AKPsi focuses on building professionalism through professional, social, service and fundraising events.

“I think AKPsi is unique to a lot of organizations just because we have a variety of events…and we focus on building professionalism which is really great for careers,” Ydoate said. “I feel like not only are you getting great things out of this, you are truly building brotherhood.”

After four days of recruitment activities, members and pledges will gather for a final brotherhood event at the Gatton College of Business and Economics on Friday, Ydoate said.

Ydoate said that members and pledges will meet in the Gatton atrium at 5:30 p.m. and Sbarro Pizza will be provided. Those in attendance will break into small groups and walk to Naticreme to get frozen yogurt.

AKPsi hosted a different event every night during rush, said Elizabeth Casey, director of public relations for AKPsi and a marketing and merchandising sophomore.

Casey said each event shows potential new members what the fraternity represents and previews what it does throughout the year.

This week consisted of making valentines for patients at the Kentucky Children’s Hospital, a fundraising dinner at GattiTown, a guest speaker offering interview etiquette and an information night followed by bowling at Southland Lanes.

“This week has shown potential pledges the different aspects of AKPsi,” Casey said.

Executive members of AKPsi will meet on Tuesday to make personal phone calls to the potential new members they wish to offer bids, Ydoate said. She said the pinning ceremony for new members is Thursday, Feb. 10.

In addition to providing students with professional skills, UK’s chapter, Omicron Psi, is nationally recognized for its student-generated professional event, ProfessionaPalooza.

ProfessionaPalooza was created by former AKPsi President Jake Metz, a marketing and management senior. It is a one day professional development event with mock interviews, resumes critiques and fashionshows, Metz said.

Metz said he got the idea for ProfessionaPalooza from attending regional AKPsi conventions.

“I was just looking for something that would help our chapter stand out,” Metz said.

Since its creation, ProfessionaPalooza is spreading to colleges across the nation. Metz said that a couple of Chicago universities and Ball State University recently held their own versions of the event.

He said that there are about eight different chapters in the United States now planning their own ProfessionaPaloozas, as well as the Manchester Business School in England.

Metz said that ProfessionaPalooza has provided him with networking opportunities across the country.

“It’s helped me meet a lot of people all across the country,” Metz said. “I can pretty much go anywhere in the lower 48 [states] and find a place to stay.”

Metz said the fact that his participation in AKPsi was the catalyst for his individual success.

He said that he invited students to rush this evening as an opportunity to become part of something different.

“What sets us apart is we’re kind of a hybrid organization,” Metz said. “We’re Greek, but we’re not social Greek. We have the brotherhood aspects, but we still have the freedom to do what we want…it’s the best of both worlds.”