Top pianist hopes to inspire musicians

Organizers hope a piano recital will inspire musicians and music lovers when they hear an award-winning pianist perform on Sunday.

The UK School of Music has brought Arthur Green, an internationally acclaimed pianist, to play in a recital Sunday night at Memorial Hall. Greene is a professor of piano at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.

Irina Voro, Ph.D., is an associate professor of music and said she coordinated the recital.

“It was very hard to get him because he has a really big name and he is a very accomplished pianist,” Voro said. “He performs around the world. We are very lucky.”

Voro has been planning his visit for the past three years. She said he was supposed to come two years ago, however it did not work out.

“Finally it’s a break through. We don’t have artists of such caliber very often at UK,” she said.

Greene said he has never been to UK, but performs at universities and colleges often and enjoys meeting students.

At the recital, he will perform works by Johann Sebastian Bach and Alexander Scriabin’s Sonatas No. 3 and No. 7.

“I’m hoping to convey a sense of lifting someone to a higher level with the music,” Greene said. “That’s the goal of the music — if somebody can penetrate into the music, they can be

transcended to a higher level and that’s what I’m trying to do when I play music.”

Voro said she is looking forward to hearing the Sonata No. 7, titled, “The White Mass,” because it is very rarely played.

“It has tremendous technical challenges and is overwhelmingly difficult,” Voro said. “That’s another aspect why students will benefit because they will see how someone sits and plays an extremely difficult composition in front of their eyes.”

Maris Deddens, a piano performance freshman, said she is attending the recital on Sunday and is excited to hear Greene play.

“You can always learn from other pianists, no matter who they are, but he is a world-class pianist,” Deddens said.

She said by watching Greene, her and other students can learn from his technique, the sound he makes and how he responds to the audience.

“It’s really inspiring to watch a really good pianist play because you see them and they have so much energy and they seem like they love what they’re doing,” she said.

Deddens hopes to expand her knowledge of music by attending.

“You can hear things you’ve never heard before and find something new you’d like, which is really important to know,” she said.

Voro wants Memorial Hall to be filled and said the audience will not be disappointed.

“For students, especially those who are studying piano now, its always inspirational to hear someone who is on the top of the profession in a live setting,” Voro said. “When it’s a live performance, nobody knows what is going to happen … they can observe the master at work.”

Greene will be playing April 10 at 7:30 p.m. in Memorial Hall. The recital is free and open to the public.