In the backfield, the job belongs to Sanders

For the past two seasons, it has been clear who was the workhorse in the backfield in UK’s offense — Derrick Locke. But with Locke gone and preparing for the NFL draft in the coming weeks, there is a new face in the backfield of UK head football coach Joker Phillips’ offense. His name is Raymond Sanders.

Sanders will be a sophomore next season, and began spring practice as the starting tailback for the Cats. Last season, when Locke went down with an injury, it was fellow freshman Donald Russell who took many of the snaps in the backfield. But Russell then decided to transfer, leaving the job for Sanders to fill last year and take over in 2011.

“I can’t say the job is all mine,” Sanders said. “I just have to keep working and keep pushing. I have guys behind me who are also wanting that job, so every day I come out here and I just want to get better and help my teammates get better.”

In 2010, Sanders totaled 68 rushes for 254 yards and three touchdowns. He also had 16 catches out of the backfield for 114 yards, giving him 368 total yards on the year. Now Sanders will be in the backfield for most of the Cats’ snaps on offense, increasing the expectations beset upon him from a year ago.

Phillips has liked what he has seen from his tailback thus far in spring practice, saying Sanders is a smart player with great abilities.

“Raymond has a really good understanding of our offense,” Phillips said. “I really like what he is doing in the run game.

“One thing he can improve on is picking up blitzes better. We get to see a lot of stuff coming at us in our passing attack, and backs have to be able to pick up blitzes, and we need him to get better at that.”

But becoming the starting running back does not just carry responsibility on the field; it also brings a lot of responsibility off the field. Sanders has embraced his new leadership role on the team and credits a lot of what he learned about the tailback position and what it takes to be a starter and a leader playing a skill position on offense to his predecessor, Locke.

“I’m more of a leader. I’m more leading the guys behind me,” Sanders said. “I looked to Derrick, and he taught me how to lead those guys. He led us, and now I’m taking his place, so it’s a little different.

“On and off the field, things like going to class, just doing the right thing and just being the man and helping everyone. Derrick, everyone said he was cocky, but he will help you in a heartbeat, and he wants everyone to be better and to do their best.”

Behind Sanders on the depth chart are fellow sophomores CoShik Williams (24 carries for 136 yards and four touchdowns in 2010), Jonathan George (nine carries for 25 yards) and redshirt freshman Brandon Gainer. With many new faces and little production behind Sanders, it will be that much more important for him to carry the load in the running game.

“Ray played a lot last year,” quarterback Morgan Newton said. “I’ll be able to do some of that running, but a lot of those guys are just going to have to step up. That’s what it’s going to come down to.”

With an offensive line in front of them returning four starters, this stable of UK running backs will look to prove it is able to carry the load and balance out an offense dependent on its quarterback (Newton) this spring and in summer camp before the start of the season.

“I feel like (the other running backs on the roster) can fill in,” Sanders said. “It’s just a matter of wanting to do it. They show the glimpses in the scrimmage and in practice that they can make a couple plays. All those guys can come in and make plays to help this offense be productive.”