Blast from the past: SAB to play Disney movies

By Danielle Kaye

On Saturday, Oct. 15, UK students can take a break from their hectic college life and return to a “whole new world.”

The Student Activities Board, in response to wild demand from students, will be hosting Disney Mania, a marathon of everyone’s favorite Disney movies.

The event will be showing such classics as Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King.

Inspiration for the event came from an SAB survey where students were asked what kinds of movie marathons they would like to see on campus, said Brandon Pain, a committee chair for SAB.

“It’s nice that SAB is offering students the opportunity to sit down and enjoy something simple,” freshman Ryan McDuffie said.

The SAB committee thoroughly researched the movies that they believed students would enjoy the most from the vast arsenal of Disney classics and “picked three that we thought would represent the Disney that everyone loves,” said Pain.

The event will kick off on Saturday, Oct. 15, in William T. Young auditorium at 2 p.m.

Students will be taken on a “magic carpet ride” with Disney’s Aladdin showing first. The movie came out in 1992 and features Robin Williams as the famous genie.

SAB will continue to ask students to “be our guest,” as Beauty and the Beast plays and students enjoy the free food offered throughout the event, and all should “be prepared” as the Mania closes with the Lion King, an appropriate finale as one of the highest grossing animated films of all time.

“Watching movies from when you were younger brings up nostalgia. They also help keep your inner child alive and not grow up too fast,” said Keely Schaefer, a sophomore.