Quick recap: UK speeds past Cyclones 87-71 for Sweet 16 appearance

Key player: With freshman Anthony Davis and sophomore Terrence Jones being given the difficult task of guarding Iowa State’s Royce White, UK head coach John Calipari’s freshman guard Marquis Teague took command of the game. Teague’s speed was to his advantage against the guards of the Cyclones. Many of his career high 24 points came on blow-by drives to the basket or jumpers created by the presence of Davis and Jones on the interior. His 24 points came on 10-14 shooting. Teague also added seven assists and four rebounds.

Turning point/key stretch: No matter how loud the crowd would get or how UK got, the Cyclones of Iowa State fought their way back in the first half and early stages of the second. Leading 48-44, two free throws by Marquis Teague with 13:19 remaining would begin a 14-point run by the Cats that ignited the fan base when senior Darius Miller drained a three pointer. By the end of the run, UK held a 62-44 lead that was too insurmountable for Iowa State’s limited offense.

The good: UK’s offense didn’t have to rely on the likes of Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, sophomore Doron Lamb, or freshman Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to bring most of the production. Along with Marquis Teague, Darius Miller would tie his season-high in scoring with 19 points. When the Cats began to get stagnant on the offensive end, it was Miller that came up with a rejuvenating jumper for the squad.

Stat of the game: Entering their game against UK, Iowa State’s 8.8 three-pointers per game ranked 10th in the nation. The Cats long, pesky defense was able hold the Cyclones to 3-22 (13.6 percent) shooting from downtown, and 25-61 (41 percent) overall. UK shot 10-20 (50 percent) from three-point range.

What’s next: The Cats next move in the 2012 NCAA Tournament will be to the Sweet Sixteen in Atlanta, where UK will attempt to defeat the Indiana Hoosiers for the first time this season on Friday. The time for tip-off is yet to be determined.