Comedy Caravan celebrates 10 years at Cats Den

By Kayla Pickrell

Comedy Caravan started the year off Sunday with the 10th anniversary of Wednesday night stand-up comedy events at the Cats Den.

Although capacity in the Cats Den is 315, 400 students stopped by during the night to see Dale Jones and Jodi White perform.

“(Sunday) night was incredible,” said Matt Bulka, the director of the Cats Den. ”It was a great crowd, and Jodi and Dale killed it.”

Along with the Kickoff Show, Comedy Caravan will host Kevin McCaffrey and Mike Trainor at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the Cats Den.

Kevin McCaffrey writes the Top 10 lists for David Letterman.

Trainor is the host and commentator for “World’s Dumbest Criminals” on TruTV.

“I’m expecting a lot of kids to show up because it’s an event at the beginning of school,” Trainor said. “Students are still willing to show up for school functions.”

He visited Lexington twice at the beginning of the year to perform.

“Comedy Caravan has been going strong,” Tom Sobel, the president of TSM Artists Inc., said. “We are literally bringing all comedians from Comedy Central.”

TSM Artists Inc. is the parent company to Comedy Caravan.

The full capacity at the Kickoff Show is what organizers are looking for throughout the year.

“I’m hoping that the buzz we created (Sunday) night carries over into all of our shows this semester because it was just awesome,” Bulka said.

One change in the program Sobel was looking into is a change in student involvement.

“We want more students at UK who are willing to do stand-up comedy,” he said.

“We make sure you folks get the best college-appropriate comedy. It’s first-class and free.”

The first open mic night of the season will be at 8 p.m. Sept. 18 in the Cats Den.