A night on duty with UK Police

By Nini Edwards

Lt. Doyle listens to three radios at the same time while patrolling campus.His radios quickly become background noise as voices are spouting different instructions and codes.

UK Police are patrolling any street running through or adjacent to UK’s campus the morning of Friday, Sept. 7, between midnight and 3 a.m. Doyle drives up onto a scene where a fire truck, two police cars, one police van and an EMT are stopped.

An intoxicated man is passed out on the side of Bolivar Street. Police officers are checking his pockets and patting him down. The man screams at the police and is forced to step into the back of the van. Officer Pearl tells the man to watch his head right before hearing a loud bang against the van’s ceiling.

“We usually look for these guys walking through campus, not the students,” Pearl says.

Pearl tells onlookers to move along as cars driving past slow to stare at the action.

Back in the cruiser, Doyle talks about his favorite restaurants in town, acting like the voices coming out of his radios are non-existent. Without indicating he hears one of the voices tell him to do so, he pulls up to the next stop on Transcript Avenue as though he had a feeling his fellow officers might be there. Another man seems to be passed out, this time on a grassy patch on the side of a house. He is curled up the in fetal position, looking quite comfortable in his new bed.

“What’s in the bottle, partner?” Doyle says. No response. The EMT and fire truck pull up. “Is this bourbon or urine?”

Still, no answer. The man lies back down and closes his eyes. Eventually the man, Paul Prather, is pulled up and walked down the hill to the van and taken into custody around 12:30 a.m. Prather was charged with alcohol intoxication in a public place, according to the police citation.

The next stop is to charge a man, who police say they saw urinating on a church sign at the corner of Lexington Avenue and Maxwell Street, with alcohol intoxication in a public place, according to court documents. The man, Brandon Goins, was coming from a birthday party; he is wearing a fedora and a Hawaiian lei around his neck. His festive attire did not match his mood after police sat him on the curb.

A more aggressive arrest is waiting for Lt. Doyle beside the W.T. Young Library. Two men are trespassing on campus on the corner of Woodland and Columbia avenues. They are staring at the library with their feet spread, hands behind their backs and pockets out. One intoxicated man is getting aggressive with the officers.

“Stop resisting,” Officer Enricco says.

The other man is getting his pockets emptied. Two CDs, dip, a lighter, two wallets, a ball of aluminum foil, candy wrappers and eye drops came out of his pockets. He is calmer than his friend.

Doyle looks into the intoxicated man’s eyes when talking with him. He calmly discusses the reason he was violating the law.

“If you are not a student, visitor or receiving medical attention, you are considered trespassing,” Doyle says.

The man begins talking with Doyle in a calm manner.

“You are all right, Lieutenant,” he says.

Around 2:30 a.m., Doyle parks in a lot near Two Keys Tavern. Not a lot of action is happening this night. A woman walking barefoot got a large piece of glass stuck in her foot and another woman fell after performing five cartwheels toward her car.­­­­ Soon Doyle decides nothing is happening at Two Keys and hits the streets.

The first person is pulled over on South Limestone. The driver, Matthew Taulbee, is asked first to walk a straight line and then hold up his right foot while counting to 30. He passes the sobriety test.

Shortly after leaving South Limestone, a call comes over one of Doyle’s radios: “Assault: white male with black hoodie.” The background noise of voices become Doyle’s main focus. More voices clutter the airwaves. Doyle meets with a few officers in their cruisers before heading to the scene.

A woman allegedly was attacked and sexually assaulted when walking home from the bars. She pulled out a knife and cut the attacker before he ran away.

Seven police cars and one EMT sit outside a house on Maxwell Street. The woman inside is being questioned about her attacker, and the EMT ends up taking the woman to the hospital. The rest of the night is spent looking for the suspect.

“This is definitely not a desk job,” Doyle says.

Editor’s note: The Kernel is not publishing the officers’ first names at the request of the officers. Normally the Kernel’s policy is to publish the first and last names of all sources.