Presidential debate could be crucial to Nov. 6 outcome

By Chase Sanders

Many citizens have already made the journey to their precinct polls to vote across America.

Tuesday, citizens in 32 states are able to vote early. For the rest of the electorate, however, the wait until Nov. 6 continues. The next big event in the 2012 Presidential election will take place at 9 p.m. Wednesday.

Many members of the Big Blue Nation look forward to hearing about what’s most important to them during this election cycle. Education senior Neely Grubbs understands why it is so vital to vote and pay attention to presidential debates.

“I think it’s important for people to hear the candidates so they know what’s going on in world, and so they can make the right decision when their voting,” she said.

The future teacher is eager to hear President Barack Obama and former Gov. Mitt Romney voice their views on education.

“I would like to hear the topic of education discussed to see who has the best ideas for students and teachers.”

Grubbs believes constituents should hold true to their civic duty and tune in to the debates.

“I think it’s important for people to vote. I think they should know who they’re voting for and what they stand for,” she said.

Although it will be Grubbs’ first time voting, senior Samantha Heiskell looks forward to watching the debates so she can be informed when she votes for her second time.

“Last election I did watch the debates. I don’t know who I’m voting for yet.”

“If you’re going to comment on anything that the government is involved with, then it makes more sense for you to at least be an informed voter,” she said.

Heiskell looks forward to seeing what the candidates will do during their term in office as it pertains to health care.

“Health care is definitely important to me. I know they’re trying to improve it any way they can, but it is still a pretty controversial topic, and I want to see how our government is going to deal with that down the road,” she said.

She encourages first-time voters to watch debates as well, because of the information that the candidates present about themselves.

“Last time watching the debates was a big deal for me. It was about staying focused and caught up on the information so I could make a real choice instead of relying on my parents,” Heiskell said.

Unlike Heiskell, art education senior Janine Parkinson is a newcomer to the American electorate.

“I have not voted before in any election. This is the first election that I’m able to vote in,” she said.

As a student and aspiring teacher, she wants to hear what Obama and Romney will say about education.

“Education is definitely an important issue to me. A lot of schools are taking art programs out of their curriculum,” Parkinson said. “There should be more funding for the arts for the sake of students and teachers.”

Parkinson wants to see a candidate that can appreciate the arts for how important they are to students.

“Not only does art help with creativity. It helps students be innovative, creative and think outside the box,” she said.

She still has time to make up her mind like the rest of Americans who will be voting. According to the latest USA Today/ Gallup poll one in five voters still haven’t made up their minds or may still change their mind about who they’re voting for.