UK sputters in second half, loses at Missouri

By Ethan Levine

UK trailed just 17-10 at halftime in their first ever trip to Missouri, but failed to score in the second half in a 33-10 loss to the Tigers.

The Cats could never find a rhythm on offense, reverting back to their all-freshman, two-quarterback offense with the return of Patrick Towles to the lineup. Towles played just three series, completing only one of four passes for a mere two yards.

Freshman Jalen Whitlow started once again for UK, completing nine of 18 passes for 76 yards. Once again both freshmen remained interception-free, but Towles did fumble deep in his own end in the third quarter, resulting in an eventual Missouri touchdown.

Defensively, freshman J.D. Harmon had a breakout game with two interceptions, helping the Cats to even the turnover battle to three apiece by the end of the game. The return of Tigers’ starting quarterback James Franklin proved to be too much for UK to handle, as Missouri’s athletes began to take over.

Senior running back Kendial Lawrence ran for 108 yards and two touchdowns, while Dorial Green-Beckham had seven receptions, many of which extended drives in the second half for the Tigers.

The win for Missouri is its first in the SEC since joining the conference this fall. The Tigers are now 4-4 on the season, 1-4 in the SEC.

The Cats fall to 1-8 on the season, 0-5 in conference. UK returns home next weekend to take on Vanderbilt in the current seniors’ final home SEC game.