Hockey swept in weekend home-and-home



By Char Grimm | @KernelGrimm

[email protected]

UK hockey fell twice to No. 1 Miami (Ohio) University this weekend. Friday’s score was 7-2 and Saturday saw a 13-0 shutout by the RedHawks.

“Miami’s a really good team, they’re good at moving the puck,” said sophomore forward Charlie Hales. “They were able to take us out of our element early.”

The opening faceoff of the game was won by the Cats; however, the puck was quickly controlled by Miami.

Junior goaltender Aaron Tenfelde was forced to turn away several shots early before the RedHawks beat him to earn the first goal of the game.

Fewer than five minutes later, junior forward Ryan Thomas fired a shot that trickled between the legs of senior Miami goaltender Alex Effinger.

”It seems like every time we would get something going, we’d get a bad bounce, or the glass would break. It just took away from us,” Hales said.

UK got an opportunity with a holding call to Miami, but the RedHawks would capitalize while shorthanded on a shot off a faceoff in the Cats’ zone. Despite the

Cats’ continued fight for another equalizing goal, the first period ended with a score of 2-1 in favor of Miami.

“When they were in our zone, it was complete puck possession. I don’t think I saw a pass that wasn’t tape to tape,” Tenfelde said.

The beginning of the second period had Tenfelde fending off a barrage of quick shots from the RedHawks. He matched all three and it wasn’t long before a deflection snuck past the UK goaltender, creating a 3-1 lead for Miami.

A hard slap shot from the RedHawks found its way behind Tenfelde at the end of the period to extend the lead to 4-1.

“Playing the Number 1 team and only being down 4-1 at the end of two? I felt great at that point. We were outshot five to one,” Tenfelde said.

In the third period, the Cats’ power play didn’t have the results UK wanted. Instead, Miami’s Brian Baker skated in on the one-on-one with Tenfelde, sneaking the puck between the goaltender’s legs for a 5-1 lead.

A short time later, after two goals in just as many minutes, the Cats would see themselves at a six-goal deficit.

Junior defensemen Jeremy Schmidt ensured the Cats weren’t going down without a fight.

Schmidt sent a hard slap shot from the point that found its way to the back of the Miami net.

The game concluded two minutes later with the Cats falling 7-2.

Saturday’s game was a complete domination by the RedHawks in Oxford, Ohio. The first period saw a 3-0 lead, but it seemed the Cats might be able to come back.

During the second period, the RedHawks’ offense stepped on the gas and never let up.

Miami had a 6-0 lead at the end of 40 minutes of play and also had the shot advantage of 35-6.

The RedHawks would go on to win the game 13-0, outshooting UK 56-10.

The Cool Cats are back in action this weekend in Columbus, Ohio, to take on the Ohio State Buckeyes in a two-game road trip.