Color Me Rad 5K comes to Lexington; benefits Ronald McDonald House

By Melody Bailiff| @KyKernel

Color Me Rad, an event that Mallory Shoffner calls “Dayglow in 5K form,” is hitting UK’s campus March 2.

Shoffner is the philanthropy chair for Alpha Delta Pi, the sorority hosting the race this spring.

Runners are encouraged to dress in white and race to the finish as they get hit with paint by members of ADPi and other “color bomb squads,” such as HOT 102, the radio station at 102.5 FM, which has chosen to participate by playing music and bombing runners.

“This run is a good way to get everyone in the community involved,” said ADPi sophomore Katy Costin. “I’ll be wearing goggles for sure, to keep the paint out of my eyes.”

Money raised from the race will be donated to the Lexington Ronald McDonald House, which has served the city for the past 29 years.

The charity serves as a “home away from home” for parents and families of hospital patients 21 years and younger.

The Ronald McDonald House is ADPi’s national philanthropy.

“It’s exciting for Alpha Delta Pi to have such an amazing opportunity to help display Ronald McDonald House Charities to campus and the community,” Shoffner said. “It’s an organization that we love and cherish and we are eager to introduce them to a younger generation.”

Sarah Jordan, the special events and promotions coordinator for Ronald McDonald House Lexington, estimates that up to $10,000 could be raised and said the money goes toward keeping the lights on.

The 20-room Ronald McDonald House can house up to 40 guests and provides basic needs such as razors, shampoo, laundry detergent and hot meals for guests.

“We want these families to have a peace of mind and be well rested for their day ahead,” Jordan said.

“Most of these families are facing an uphill battle and we provide the opportunity for family members to be together during crucial times. We try to keep the house as cheery and warm as possible.”

Registration for the run can be done at colormerad.com.

The race costs $45 before Feb. 22 and $50 until Feb. 27, the last deadline.

Four thousand runners are already signed up.

When the promo code “CATS” is used up until Feb. 21 during payment, 10 percent is taken off of the runner’s registration fee and 15 percent is donated to the Ronald McDonald House.

Jordan stressed the importance of using the promo code not only to save the runner money, but to contribute to the charity.

“We couldn’t keep our doors open without the student volunteers of all ages and backgrounds,” Jordan said.