Brothers in friendship

By Grant Willoughby| @KyKernel

The show “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” has its own fan club at UK, the Brony Club, made up of entirely male college students.

The show itself focuses on the adventures of a group of ponies as they learn about friendship.

The Brony fandom sticks closely to the precedent set by other prominent fan groups and the term Brony is just used to say one is a fan of the show, Brony Club president and Japanese language sophomore Mikey Ross said.

“When I started the Brony Club, it was on the show’s core principle that friendship is magic. This being said, the club is mostly aimed at making friends and helping others,” Ross said.

“Almost every episode has a really great lesson.”

The show originally was designed to appeal to multiple age groups, which may explain its appeal to adult men, architecture sophomore William Tingle said.

“ ‘Friendship is Magic’ is a simple show with a deeper meaning,” Tingle said. “I really enjoy analyzing the show’s themes.”

Outside of the content, the show’s production values are often cited as a reason for its appeal.

“The show has really great voice acting and animation as well,” Tingle said.

The club was started in January so membership is still relatively low at eight members. This is a small group considering the size of the fandom, Ross said.

Outside of regular meetings where the club watches and discusses the show, members also plan on putting on public events including Nerf games and video game tournaments.

While not related to the fandom itself, Ross thinks that these events exemplify the meaning behind “Friendship is Magic.”

“We want to have fun events where people can feel accepted and make new friends,” Ross said.

Anderson went on to say that the club is always looking for new members.

“We really want to get our name out there,” said Ian Anderson, Brony Club vice president and an anthropology sophomore.

The Brony Club meets Wednesdays at 4 p.m. in Student Center Room 111.