UK women’s soccer rides winning streak into weekend matchups

Junior defender Arin Gilliland scores during a penalty kick in Lexington, Ky., on Friday, September 6, 2013. Photo by Michael Reaves

Staff report

UK women’s soccer (4-1-1) heads into the weekend with matchups against University of Texas-San Antonio and No. 19 West Virginia University.

After losing their first match against Wake Forest University, 3-1, the Cats proceeded to a 0-0 draw with the University of Utah.

UK then went on a four-game winning streak, beating Eastern Kentucky University, University of Toledo, University of Louisville and University of Dayton with a combined score of 14-2.

Freshman forward Zoe Swift and junior forward Stuart Pope lead the Cats with five goals and two assists apiece, while junior defender Arin Gilliland, freshman forward Jade Klump and sophomore midfielder Courtney Raetzman add a combined three goals and eight assists.

Meanwhile, UTSA (1-5-0) is coming off of three straight losses against Lamar University, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi and Samford University. The Roadrunners’ only victory of the season came in the first match of the UTSA Classic against Sam Houston State University.

Junior forwards Taylor Wingerden and Anissa Munson, as well as freshman forward Brianna Livecchi, are responsible for a goal each for UTSA this season.

WVU (3-1-2) suffered its first defeat of the season against the reigning national champions, No. 1 University of North Carolina in the Duke Nike Classic on Sept. 8.

Before that point, the Mountaineers were undefeated in five games, including wins over Syracuse University, Central Michigan University and Morehead State University, and ties with Duke University and Penn State University.

Four players for WVU have scored at least two goals, while senior forward Frances Silva leads the team with four goals and four assists. Junior forward Kate Schwindel adds three goals and one assist, while sophomore forward Kelsie Maloney has contributed two goals and three assists.

UK will face UTSA at 7:30 p.m. on Friday at the UK Soccer Complex before traveling to Morgantown, W.Va., to face WVU at 1 p.m. on Sunday.