Holiday parking plan opens campus for sports fans

UK Parking and Transportation services finished its Fall monitoring of most of the residential and campus parking lots just as the majority of students went home for the holidays.

According to UKNow, PTS will not be monitoring cars for permits in the residential lots other than the R6, R16, R17 and R18 lots located near the medical campus and Good Samaritan Hospital.

The article said most of the lots would be monitored again starting Jan. 4, with the exception of R7 areas on Jan. 9, C6 areas on Jan. 11, and C8 and K areas on Jan. 13.

UK Basketball fans who would rather walk the extra mile and a half from the lots outside W.T. Young Library to Rupp Arena can save money and even time avoiding post-game traffic for the Dec. 26 and Jan. 2 games.

In addition, spectators of UK’s swimming and diving team will be able to park in the R7 lot adjacent to the Lancaster Aquatic Center for the Jan. 8 meet.

The lax monitoring comes a bit late for patrons who would have liked premium parking for the Singletary Center’s winter concert series, which concluded Friday with the Bluegrass Youth Ballet’s performance of “The Nutcracker in One Act.”

Besides giving parking to those diligent students catching up on studies at W.T. Young Library, PTS workers have given UK’s sports fans an extra present this holiday by taking a vacation.

STAFF REPORT