Aramark partnership leads to increase in sales, employment for UK Dining

File Photo by Jonathan Krueger | Staff

Patrick Brennan

UK Dining partnered with Aramark in the summer of 2014, and the transformed food service has seen increased sales and more employees.

In the last fiscal year that UK Dining was self-operated, sales totaled to $25.3 million. In the first year with Aramark, sales increased by about 24% to $31.3 million.

Additionally, the partnership has increased the number of job opportunities for UK dining. In October of 2013, before UK’s contract with Aramark, UK Dining Services employed 462 students and 117 non-students.

In October of 2015, UK Dining had increased employment to 498 students and 453 non-students.

In an email to the Kentucky Kernel, UK Dining Director of Marketing Charity Bradley said, “UK Dining is part of the overall campus commitment to ‘build community.’ Sitting down for meals with friends at Blazer and Fresh Food Company, UK’s residential dining locations, are a great way to build community.”

Still, students across campus have complained about dining. For one, portion sizes decreased at some eateries, like Intermezzo. Starting this year at Intermezzo and other locations, Wildcat Deals now come with one less side.

Other common complaints pertain to the changes to Ovid’s, whose new location meant fewer hours and options.

However, the expansion of UK Dining has not hit the wallets of students. Prices have risen slightly on the minimum meal plans since 2013-14, but have fallen substantially for the most expensive ones. The most expensive plan, Comfort Unlimited, decreased in price by $664 to $2150.

The price of every meal plan in 2014-15 was ultimately less than what the Board of Trustees approved for the year.

The Wildcat Plan, which granted 130 meals and $300 Flex dollars to be used at any time, has been nixed since the partnership with Aramark.

It remains to be seen whether Aramark will take advantage of on-campus students by further reducing meal plan options and pressuring them into the Comfort Unlimited plan.

The partnership with Aramark will be two years old this summer, and UK Dining will have expanded a great deal in that time.

Patrick Brennan