Students abroad face challenges in election coverage

Madison Rexroat

Even from thousands of miles away, students abroad are still involved in American politics – most notably the fast-approaching presidential election. But as challenging as it is to keep up with here, it’s even more difficult abroad according to a report by USA Today College.

Despite the time differences, students are able to stay updated through social media, where sources might not be totally reliable or thorough. Finding a decent Wifi connection while traveling is also difficult, creating yet another challenge toward understanding the seemingly day-to-day changes in the election atmosphere.

And it’s not that coverage of the election is non-existent in foreign countries. In fact, many people have very strong opinions. Others discuss it in terms of mockery or sarcasm, and foreign media cast the election in a different light than the polarizing and often biased American media.

“If there’s one thing I understand about American politics from being abroad, it’s how closely the rest of the world is watching,” said student, Isabella Hattem, in the article.

Although being abroad can present challenges regarding the election, it also exposes students to different perspectives that they might not have thought of before, allowing them to make a more educated, rational and culturally considerate decision.

To read the full article on USA Today College, click here.