College students often targets of ID thieves and scammers

A student uses their wildcard ID to purchase food at Bowman’s Den on September 14, 2016 in Lexington, Ky.

Madison Rexroat

In a report by USA Today College, it was revealed that college students are often more vulnerable to identity theft and security scams.

One cause of this problem is that students don’t realize the need to check their credit. Especially with the huge amount of information young consumers often reveal online, checking your credit score is critical to making sure no one is using that information.

Students are also prey to phony links and calls that request personal information. Some callers even pretend to be the college admissions office, in which case the student should immediately hang up and report the incident to the actual admissions office.

One particularly disturbing scam is targeted towards students who work on campus, who can receive emails asking for employment information, which the scammer then uses to go into the campus system where the paycheck is direct deposited and transfer those funds to another account.

Another pitfall is leaving valuable information exposed or in a place of access from other people. This includes cars, dorm rooms, and ignored but non-shredded credit card applications.

To learn more, read the full article on USA Today College.