International students more reluctant to study in U.S.

UK students, faculty and staff participated in the “No Ban, No Wall. Peace and Love for All” march on Thursday, February 9, 2017. The march was held in conjunction with the nation-wide “Academics Unite” event taking place on many college campuses nation wide. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Madison Rexroat

A new study by the Education Advisory Board shows that international students are more concerned about studying in the U.S. than they were before the election.

Almost one in three international students said they were less interested in studying in America due to the current political climate, AKA President Trump according to 69 percent of those surveyed. Other reasons include concerns about travel restrictions (55 percent), safety concerns (53 percent), and prejudice (48 percent). 

After Trump’s highly controversial travel restrictions primarily focused on Muslim-majority countries, it’s not surprising that students from those countries show less interest in studying here. However, there is a decline in interest among several other unaffected nations. 43 percent of students from India reported less interest in studying in the U.S. and Canada reported 51 percent less interest. 

Another finding from the survey is that female international students, nearly 37 percent, reported less interest due to the political climate compared to 27 percent of men. 

To read the full report in The Chronicle of Higher Education, click here.