Romance in college: does it exist?

Madison Rexroat

College relationships have become almost synonymous with hookup culture. With alcohol-fueled weekends and a general aversion to commitments, it’s not as likely these days that you’ll find your future wife or husband at an overcrowded frat party.

The American Psychological Association found that between 60 and 80 percent of college students have had a hookup. Most male and female students reported that they would prefer traditional relationships despite their participation in hookup culture.

So why is college romance dead? It could be that college students are refusing to compromise or interact with other people after being coddled by parents, teachers and technology. They are constantly looking for someone better and refuse to settle for someone that’s less than ideal in their minds.

Another reason could be that students are intensely conditioned to obsess over resume building and interview preparation and competition for their chosen career. They feel they must be involved with so many extracurricular activities, which takes time and energy away from building and maintaining relationships.

Some colleges have created classes and workshops to help train students how to fall in love “properly,” but perhaps the best way to learn will be through experience. 

To read the full article in The Atlantic, click here.