UK ends season with win at Georgia

Sophomore forward Foster Ignoffo defends the ball against Vanderbilt at The Bell Soccer Complex. The Cats were defeated 0-2 on Thursday, October 5, 2017 in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Olivia Beach | Staff

Abbie Long

UK women’s soccer packed their bags and headed down to Athens, Georgia, on Thursday night to finish up SEC play and their regular season schedule. The Cats were able to snap their four game losing streak with a 3-0 win against Georgia.

Despite the win, UK will not be making the trip to Orange Beach for the SEC tournament this season.

Even though the Cats did beat the Bulldogs, they also needed help from other teams around the SEC, specifically Missouri. In order for UK to make it to Orange Beach, LSU had to beat Missouri in their match on Thursday night.

Missouri beat LSU, which put UK, Missouri and Mississippi State in a three-way tie for the No. 10 spot in the SEC standings. Because UK and Missouri both had six points a piece against the common opponents: Georgia, South Carolina and LSU, Mississippi State was eliminated with only four points earned.

But because Missouri beat UK earlier in conference play, Missouri earned the last spot in Orange Beach.

The good news for the Cats is they did end their season with an impressive and solid team win in Athens.

Senior midfielder Katy Keen set the tone for the match after scoring in the 6th minute of the match on Thursday night. Keen’s goal came off an assist from sophomore forward Foster Ignoffo.

Ignoffo would not let up on her suffocating offense after that. She scored a goal herself in the 39th minute after an assist from junior forward Sophie Babo which made the score 2-0 going into halftime.

UK would close the game with another scored goal, this time coming from freshman midfielder Miranda Jimenez in the 79th minute.

UK ended the 2017 season with an 8-12 overall record and a 3-7 SEC record.

This young Wildcats team had to overcome an abundance of injuries and they had to adjust to having a new head coach all during a single season. That in and of itself is something that this team is and should be proud of.