UK homecoming weeks involves celebrations, competition

Paintings on the windows of Whitehall Classroom building advertise Homecoming 2017. Photo by Mark C. Walsh | Staff

Elle Smith

It is homecoming week in the Commonwealth, which means the fight for the Wildcat Cup has begun. This year marks the 102nd homecoming at UK.

Homecoming is a time when students, alumni and the community gather together and spread UK traditions and pride throughout campus.

This year’s homecoming theme is “Superheroes: Not all Wildcats Wear Capes,” which showcases the students, faculty and alumni at UK.

This week’s events are presented by the Homecoming Coalition.

Prior to the Homecoming Coalition, multiple organizations on campus planned homecoming festivities. In 2010, representatives from multiple organizations on campus decided to plan a cohesive homecoming. The coalition consists of representatives from several organizations on campus including the Student Activities Board, the Black Student Union, DanceBlue, Center for Community Outreach, UK Student Government, Students Today Alumni Tomorrow/TEAM Wildcat, Alumni Association and the National Pan-Hellenic Council, according to the Homecoming Coalition website.

The week’s events include the DanceBlue 5K, the Kitty Karnival, the Royalty Showcase, Mr. and Miss Black UK, the Banner Competition, Step Show, Trivia Night, Paint the Town Blue and the Alumni basketball game. A full schedule can be found here, on the Alumni Association website.

Homecoming has a competitive edge, as organizations on campus compete to win the Wildcat Cup.

The Wildcat Cup is an annual point competition, where points are awarded throughout the week for attending, participating in and winning homecoming events. The organization with the most points at the end of the week is presented with the Wildcat Cup, during the halftime program at the UK football game on Oct. 7.

Organizations participating in homecoming activities also have the opportunity to nominate a representative on Homecoming Royalty.

Homecoming Royalty honors distinguished and accomplished students who have positive impacts on campus, and are well-rounded representatives of UK. The top 10 king candidates and top 10 queen candidates move on to a formal interview process. After the interview process, five king candidates and five queen candidates are chosen to represent the 2017 Homecoming Court.

The Homecoming Court must then participate in the Royalty Showcase, where there is a talent portion and a question and answer segment.

Student voting will occur via a text voting service starting at 9 p.m. on the day of the royalty showcase, Oct. 3., and ending at 9 p.m. the following day, Oct. 4.