UK Transportation to offer holiday airport shuttle service

Staff File Photo

UK Transportation Services announced in a press release Thursday that it will offer free Airport Shuttle Bus Service from Kroger Field to Blue Grass Airport (LEX), Louisville International Airport (SDF) and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) for the 2018 Thanksgiving break.

The service, which is part of a pilot program in partnership with the Student Transportation Fee Advisory Council, will span a three-day period over the academic holiday: Monday, Nov. 19, through Wednesday, Nov. 21.                                       

The buses will depart every two hours on those days, beginning at 6 a.m. and ending at 6 p.m. Registration is required and must be requested no later than two days in advance. Return trip shuttle service will begin on Nov. 25 and will again be available every two hours beginning at 8 a.m. and ending around 8 p.m. and will take riders back to Kroger Field. There, the Yellow Route can take them to other parts of campus.

If, on the days designated for pickup, students cannot get to Kroger Field on their own, Transportation Services will have a free campus shuttle service Monday, Nov. 19, through Wednesday, Nov. 21, at designated pickup spots around campus such as Martin Luther King Boulevard, W.T. Young Library, Woodland Ave and two locations on Sports Center Drive. Students must register for this service as well. 

“This service is a great way for the campus community to travel to the various regional airports without having to worry about finding a ride or paying to park at the airport,” said Lance Broeking, Director of UK Transportation Services, in the release. “This service is another way in which the university is working to ensure that our students can thrive at UK without the need to have a car.”

In the past, the shuttle service only went to the Lexington airport. This year, transportation officials hope to reach more students with expanded options.

UK Transportation Services will also offer airport bus service during Winter and Spring breaks, according to their press release. Inquiries can be directed to Lisa S. Cleveland, UK Transportation communications officer at 859-257-3512 or [email protected].