UK women’s soccer falls 4-1 at Vanderbilt

Redshirt Sophomore Marissa Bosco (9) crossing the ball in from a corner kick. University of Kentucky women’s soccer received their first loss of the season against University of Wisconsin on Sunday, August 26th, 2018. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff

Braden Ramsey

The rough season for Kentucky women’s soccer continued Sunday afternoon, after they dropped a match at No. 10 Vanderbilt. The 4-1 loss marks the ninth straight for the team in conference play and the thirteenth in the last fourteen games overall.

It was Senior Day for the Commodores, who clinched at least a share of the SEC title with the victory.

The scoring started early, with junior Grace Jackson putting Vanderbilt on the board in the 8th minute. She knocked one into the lower left corner of the net after a pass from freshman Haley Hopkins crossed through the Kentucky defense.

Hopkins would pick up her second assist of the game – and sixth of the year – in the 19th minute, finding Kaylann Boyd for the goal to put the Commodores up 2-0. The score gave Boyd her eighth goal of the season.

The Cats finally answered in the 51st minute, with freshman Gretchen Mills notching her second goal of the year to make it 2-1. The assist went to Abby Steiner, also a freshman, giving her four assists this year.  

An own goal in the 54th minute made it 3-1, and Hopkins would net her 12th goal of the season in the 82nd minute. The assist from Boyd was her first this year.

Vanderbilt’s record improved to 15-1-1 overall, with a spotless 8-0-1 record in SEC play. The one blemish for the Commodores came all the way back in August, on the road against Florida State.

Kentucky’s season has been on a vastly different trajectory since that time, with only one victory since the calendar turned from August. The loss dropped them to 4-14 overall, and 0-9 in the conference.

The team returns home for their last game of the season on Thursday, where they take on Georgia. It will be the final game as a Wildcat for seniors Payton Atkins and Tanya Samarzich. The game can be seen on SEC Network+.