UK women’s soccer extends losing streak to eight

Junior Forward Foster Ignoffo kicks the ball down the field during Kentucky’s game with SIUE on Friday, Aug. 17, 2018 in Lexington, Ky. Photo by Jordan Prather | Staff

Abbie Long

The UK women’s soccer team traveled to Arkansas for a Thursday night match up against the Razorbacks in hopes of earning their first SEC win of the season, but UK fell to Arkansas 4-0, moving their seven-game losing streak to eight in a row.

After a quiet first 20 minutes of the match, it seemed like all UK did was blink and they were instantly down 2-0. Arkansas junior midfielder scored on a penalty kick in the 23rd minute, her seventh goal of the season. Just 19 seconds later the Razorbacks struck again, this time from freshman midfielder Emily Russell off an assist from junior defender Marissa Kinsey.

Despite the swift 2-0 lead taken by Arkansas, UK continued to play physically throughout the first half. So much so that they were earned eight fouls and Arkansas earned seven. Two yellow cards were given to both teams as well during the first half—one given to UK’s Abby Steiner and one given to Arkansas’ Julia Laskaris.

Things continued to go downhill in the second half for the Cats. In the 54th minute junior forward Tori Cannata scored Arkansas’ third goal off an assist from sophomore midfielder Taylor Malham and sophomore midfielder Abbi Neece.

As the 71st minute ticked off the game clock, Arkansas scored their fourth goal. This time from sophomore midfielder Brooke Pirkle, off an assist from junior midfielder Stefani Doyle.

UK was beaten by the Razorbacks across the board: shots, 19-8, shots on goal, 7-3 and corner kicks, 5-1. UK and Arkansas each had three saves a piece.

With this win, Arkansas kept their undefeated home streak alive—extending it to 7-0-1 for the season. With just four games left in the season, the Cats will be looking to snap this extensive losing streak before the season comes to a close.

Next up for UK is a home match against Ole Miss next Thursday. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m. at the Bell Soccer Complex.