Student taken from Jewell Hall via ambulance, witnesses say

Police cars were parked next to Jewell Hall, a dorm on UK’s campus, on Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2018, in Lexington, Kentucky. A student was transported from the scene via ambulance after 2 p.m. Photo by Jordan Prather | Staff

Jacob Eads

An incident involving a student garnered a heavy police presence outside of UK’s Jewell Hall shortly after 2 p.m. Wednesday. 

Witnesses at the scene around the time of the incident reported seeing emergency crews transport a young man into an ambulance via a stretcher. Yellow police tape was placed over both entrances to the walkway that goes beneath Jewell Hall.

Officers at the scene declined to comment and said to wait for a university statement. 

Foul play is not suspected to be a motive in this incident, according to UK spokesperson Jay Blanton.

“Out of respect for everyone involved, no further information is available at this time,” said Blanton’s statement, which was sent around 3:30 p.m. 

S. Martin Luther King Boulevard was filled with more than a half dozen police and fire vehicles. 

Emergency vehicles occupied the intersection of Avenue of Champions and S. Martin Luther King Boulevard until the scene was mostly cleared around 2:45 p.m. The police tape was taken down around 3 p.m.

This is a developing story. Check back for more details.

Rick Childress contributed reporting.