Tyler Herro announces he will test the NBA waters

Kentucky freshman guard Tyler Herro is introduced before the game against Auburn in the NCAA tournament Elite Eight on Sunday, March 31, 2019, at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri. Kentucky was defeated by Auburn 77-71. Photo by Jordan Prather | Staff

UK freshman guard Tyler Herro has joined several of his teammates in finalizing his decision regarding the NBA process. Herro announced Friday morning via Twitter that he will declare for the NBA Draft and work with an agent, but is not ruling out a sophomore season at Kentucky. 

“In order to make the most informed decision possible, but also leave my options open, I will be taking advantage of new rules allowing me to work with an agent,” Herro said in a statement. “If the information I receive supports that I’m likely to be a high draft pick, I want to be upfront with everyone in Big Blue Nation that I will keep my name in the NBA Draft. If the evaluations tell me I need to elevate my game further, I would be thrilled to return to Kentucky and help this team compete for a championship.”

Herro was the Wildcats’ second leading scorer with 14.0 points per game and lead the team in the 3-point shooting, making 60 3-pointers on the season. The 6-foot-5 guard also grabbed 4.5 rebounds per game, and was one of the nation’s best shooters at the line (93.5 percent). Herro shot 46.2 percent from the floor and 35.5 percent from 3-point range.

“I think Tyler is making the best decision for him and his family and using the resources that the NCAA now allows. I’m in full support of Tyler’s decision,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “What I’m most proud of is how Tyler became not only an efficient offensive player but an efficient defensive player. He’s wired and driven like only a few others I’ve coached. I’ve had an absolute ball coaching him. Whatever he decides to do in the end, I will support.”