Virginia Tech’s Kenny Brooks named next head coach of Kentucky women’s basketball

Jack Weaver
Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart watches the Kentucky vs. No. 1 South Carolina womens basketball game on Thursday, Jan. 12, 2023, at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington, Kentucky. South Carolina won 95-66. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

The vacancy at head coach for Kentucky women’s basketball has been filled, with former Virginia Tech and James Madison head coach Kenny Brooks being named the ninth head coach of the program.

The move comes just two weeks after the dismissal of former Kentucky head coach Kyra Elzy, with two consecutive losing seasons forcing a change of scenery in Lexington.

That change has arrived, with Brooks departing from Blacksburg, Virginia, after leading the Hokies to eight consecutive winning seasons and their first ACC Title in 2023.

The Virginia native would lead the Hokies to their first Final Four appearance that same year, with a 79-72 loss to eventual national champion LSU ending the most storied season in the program’s history.

Before finding success in Blacksburg, Brooks spent 14 seasons at the helm of his alma mater James Madison, where he would go down as the winningest head coach in program history before departing for Virginia Tech after a third consecutive CAA Championship.

Following a second-round exit in this year’s NCAA Tournament, Brooks will be bound for Lexington where Kentucky is expected to make him the third highest-paid coach in the conference with a five-year deal.

The Wildcats will look to be the benefactors of Brooks’ program-changing ability, with Virginia Tech boasting just two winning seasons in the previous 10 years before hiring him.

With a career coaching record of 517-204, there is little doubt surrounding Brooks’ coaching ability, but with just five rostered players as of March 26, the questions around who will suit up for Kentucky for the 2024-25 season still linger.