7,000 pingpong balls dropped for Legacy Week

By Sadye Mascia

Pingpong balls filled the plaza outside Patterson Office Tower Wednesday as part of the long-standing tradition marking the end of each year.

“It’s a really cool event where people get to chase around pingpong balls and get prizes,” said Robbie Graham, integrated strategic communications senior and director of the Market Research  Committee for the Student Activities Board.

The goal for events like this is to bring attention to the week dedicated to sending off the seniors, Graham said.

“In the past, it hasn’t been taken to the full extent that we want it to be here at UK,” Graham said.

Graham also said that this particular tradition has taken place for over a decade.

Micaha Dean,  ISC junior and president of the Student Activities Board, said she remembers partaking in the event her freshman year.

“I think my freshman year we dropped 3,500 pingpong balls, and this year we are dropping 7,000,” Dean said.

Events like these are fairly laid back when it comes to promotion, Dean said.

SAB members stand outside POT and hand out flyers to students walking to and from class minutes before the drop occurs, Dean said.

The plaza quickly filled up with eager students, many of who made phone calls telling friends to come participate.

This year marks the first official year of Legacy Week at UK. The pingpong ball drop tradition is one of several events taking place in honor of graduating seniors, according to the SAB calendar.