John Calipari previews North Carolina (video)

Darius Miller guarding John Henson on Dec. 4, 2010 at UNC. Photo by Latara Appleby

A few quick notes from UK players, with plenty more to come:

• Darius Miller knows this is the game everybody has been talking about since before the season. … Honestly, it’s not just another game. We treat it as if it’s just another game. But we know it’s going to be a different level.”
  • This is going to a fast game. A really fast game. “I really believe they could save some power and not have the shot clock this weekend,” North Carolina head coach Roy Williams said. “We both want to run.” UK is averaging 72.6 possessions per game, and North Carolina 75.
  • One of the talking points has been whether North Carolina’s advantage in the experience category helps. “Obviously, Kentucky hasn’t had problems with experience,” North Carolina forward John Henson said. “They haven’t lost yet.”
  • John Calipari dismissed the idea that his team had a lack of experience playing in big games, pointing toward playing Kansas in Madison Square. “It was like a Final Four venue,” Calipari said.
  • Doron Lamb said UK is more talented offensively and defensively.
  • With the massive amount of NBA personnel at the game, what would Calipari be looking for if he was in their place? “For guys who make other players better. If a guy is playing for himself, it just stands out in game like this.”
  • Calipari said this “is not a must-win game. It’s one where you’d like to win it.” He’s looking at the game as a learning opportunity more than anything. This isn’t a March game, so the stakes aren’t quite as high. “We’re as ready as we need to be for this kind of game. I’m not sweating it. We’re going to find out where their team is and where our team is.”
  • Calipari bemoaned how his team’s youth on offense has prevented them from playing exactly how they need to. ” “And that’s the advantage Carolina has. They’re a seasoned team.”
  • Asked whether he would need to calm any of his players down before the big game, Calipari said, “The only guy that gets a little anxious is Michael Gilchrist. Not just this game, every game. He starts out so hyped out we almost have to calm him down.”

or email him at [email protected]