Frazee Hall renovation creates new space for student resources

Sun shines on the exterior of Frazee Hall after its newly unveiled renovation at the University of Kentucky on Friday, Jan. 12, 2024, in Lexington Kentucky. Photo by Matthew Mueller | Staff

Frazee Hall reopened to the public in November 2023 after being under construction since 2019, according to Stephen Stauffer, director of facilities resources and planning.

Frazee Hall is located on Administration Drive adjacent to the Student Center. Inside is the Dean of Students (DOS), which consists of several different services for students such as Resident Life, Fraternity and Sorority Life, Religious and Spiritual Life Advising, Center for Support and Intervention, Parent and Family Engagement, and Student Conduct. 

As of January 2024, construction should be completed by the end of the spring semester, according to Stauffer.

“We tried to create a building that’s not just office space, but actually space where students can hang out,” Stauffer said. “It doesn’t just have to be they’re coming to see somebody in one of the offices.”

The newly renovated building now contains spaces for students to sit and work, charge electronics and hang out. 

A person sits at a desk in the interior of Frazee Hall after its newly unveiled renovation at the University of Kentucky on Friday, Jan. 12, 2024, in Lexington Kentucky. Photo by Matthew Mueller | Staff

Trisha Clement-Montgomery, associate vice president and dean of students, said she has moved from Miller Hall to Frazee Hall. 

“I love this office. I love every part of this building to be honest. It’s just amazing what they were able to do with the bones of the place,” Clement-Montgomery said. 

With the different services of DOS being previously scattered around campus, this building has allowed for all of the DOS to be together. 

“Almost all of the student services, at least within DOS, is in this building,” Clement-Montgomery said. 

UK’s Big Blue Pantry is located in the basement. 

“Any of our students who may be experiencing food insecurity can actually go downstairs and get a meal,” Clement-Montgomery said. “What I love about it is that there’s a kitchenette right next to Big Blue Pantry, and so let’s say you are here to get a meal, it’s a very discreet location, it’s not in a place where everybody gets to see.”

Big Blue Pantry was not in the original plan for the building, according to Stauffer. 

“It’s one of my favorite things that we did with this building. It’s more easily accessed, but at the same time really private to students,” Stauffer said.

With the near completion of the renovation, there are now plenty of places for students to visit and resources for students to utilize. 

“We’ve put creative kind of seating and different things like that, places where people can plug up, depending on what their comfort level is we have different kinds of spaces on every floor,” Stauffer said.