Letter from the editor

Incoming 2023-2024 Editor-in-Chief Hannah Stanley poses for a photo. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff

Hannah Stanley, Managing Editor

If you asked me freshman year if I would ever be editor-in-chief of the Kentucky Kernel, I would’ve laughed in your face with it quickly followed by “I could never do that.”

Well, three years later, here I am. 

It all began when I went out on a limb my second semester after an email saying there was a paid reporter position available: an opportunity to be involved and getting paid for it, perfect.

Although, it wasn’t love at first sight, in fact it was far from it. I felt isolated and was being worked like a dog, shying me away from continuing my time with the Kernel. 

I somehow became the assistant news editor, and then news editor within the next year and was led by one of the two people who made this newsroom feel like home, Rayleigh Deaton.

I have been fortunate enough to work under Deaton for the last two years, giving me someone to look up to and somehow follow after, but I would never wish for it to be any other way.

I could never be the journalist or editor I am today if it wasn’t for her, alongside my advisor Ryan Craig.

After chaos broke into the newsroom this school year, I found myself as the managing editor, a position I feared I was not ready for. Through the support of Deaton and Craig, I have come to the realization that I am far more capable of things than I believed. 

With such guidance, I have been able to grow as a writer, editor and person throughout my time at the Kernel, being presented opportunities I never would have thought of.

To be honored is an understatement; it is a privilege to be granted such a chance to make my fellow editors and reporters feel the way that I have because of these two. 

I want to thank my staff for the last three years for standing by my side and joining me on this journey. I am beyond grateful and excited for our next year together, especially the change of becoming a special edition print rather than weekly. 

While we will be entering a period of unknowingness and uncertainty, I believe in the effort of my staff and advisors that we will take this by storm and be nothing short of success.