From Boyd Hall to Black Box Theatre: Kylah Spring’s narrative to debut on stage this weekend

“Ten Minutes” flyer courtesy of College of Fine Arts.

Alexis Baker, Staff Reporter

After being assaulted by a former UK student in Boyd Hall on Nov. 6, 2022, Kylah Spring’s story will take the stage Saturday, April 8 at 7:30 p.m. in the Black Box Theatre.  

The production is called “10 minutes” and is written and directed by UK students Aliciona Strothers and Marilyn Hosey.

Strothers and Hosey’s faculty advisor for the production is Herman Farrell.

Strothers defined the production as a “verbatim piece of theater.”

Strothers said the production will use quotes from interviews and the internet about what happened last semester with Spring and Sophia Rosing to tell the story. The production will incorporate aspects of the trial, the case itself, the student protest after the assault and student opinions. 

“We’re trying to hear a lot of different voices about what happened and what’s currently on going, and hopefully that sparks conversation about what do we do next,” Strothers said. 

According to Strothers, the directors have been in communication with Spring about the production.

Strothers said that the production started as a class project, but realized that there was more to it. They reached out to Spring to get her approval to continue with a production.

Strothers is hoping to include Spring in the preparation of the production.

“We are hoping to have her in rehearsals so that way she can add input or share thoughts with us and the cast,” Strothers said.

According to Strothers, the production includes careful decision making on how to navigate a lot of sensitive material. 

“How do we talk about race? And how do we talk about gender? How do these things come into play? Really having a conversation about those things like not just being ‘Oh it was bad’, but like ‘Oh this was a bad thing how do we stop it from happening again so we don’t repeat the cycle,’” Strothers said.