A recap of General Assembly bills affecting college-age Kentuckians

Jack Weaver

The Kentucky State Capitol on Thursday, Oct. 6, 2022, in Frankfort, Kentucky. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

Alexis Baker, Staff Reporter

Multiple Kentucky House and Senate bills affecting a large demographic of Kentuckians are in their final stages.

House and Senate committees passed Senate Bill 9, a proposal familiar with UK’s campus. Senate Bill 9, also known as “Lofton’s Law,” is awaiting a signature of approval from Gov. Andy Beshear.

Lofton’s Law was proposed to the General Assembly after the death of Thomas “Lofton” Hazelwood. Hazelwood was a “new member” of UK’s Farmhouse fraternity who died of alcohol toxicity on Oct. 18, 2021. 

Following Hazelwood’s death, UK’s FarmHouse chapter left campus, and his family fought for Lofton’s Law, a law that will make hazing a felony. 

According to the Kentucky General Assembly, Lofton’s Law passed the House committee on Mar. 16 with a 30-4 vote and was delivered to the governor. 

Upon Beshear’s approval, Kentucky will be the 14th state to classify hazing as a felony.

Multiple other bills will affect college students in Kentucky. Senate Bill 115 is currently receiving national attention. 

According to the Kentucky General Assembly, Senate Bill 115 refers to restrictions surrounding adult performances. 

The bill defines adult performances as, “live sexually explicit performance involving acts set forth in KRS 529.010(15), or a live performance involving male or female impersonator.” The bill would place restrictions upon drag performances.

According to the bill, “adult performances” would become classified as illegal on publicly owned property or in a location where a person under 18 years old could view the performance.

In regard to the consequences of conducting adult performances, the bill said that the first offense would be a Class B misdemeanor, the second would be a Class A misdemeanor and the third/anything further would be a Class D felony.

The bill will not be signed into law by Beshear.

Senate Bill 115 does not have enough readings in the House to legally pass before the veto period begins Friday,” the Courier Journal said. 

Additional bills that affect college-aged Kentuckians are House Bills 118 and 138. Both of these bills go into specifics surrounding firearm rights.

According to the Kentucky General Assembly, House Bill 118 proposed the idea of lowering the age requirement for carrying a concealed weapon from 21 to 18. 

It was introduced to the house on Jan. 5, but no further action was taken. 

Also introduced to the house without gaining traction was House Bill 138.

According to the Kentucky General Assembly, the goal of this bill was to ease restrictions on where weapons can be carried. 

The bill said that it would no longer prohibit weapons in schools and airports. Additionally, airports would be limited to areas controlled by the TSA. 

This bill was introduced on Jan. 6 and did not see any further action.