Death of Queen Elizabeth sparks range of emotions and questions about the United Kingdom’s future

Lexinton Herald-Leader

Queen Elizabeth, center, with Prince Phillip on left, watches a race with Will and Sarah Faris on Derby Day at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky, on Saturday, May 5, 2007. Photo by Charles Bertram | Lexington Herald Leader.

Alexis Baker, Reporter

On Sept. 8, Queen Elizabeth II passed away, ending her 70-year reign as queen of the United Kingdom – the longest reign in British history.

Several UK students shared their thoughts after hearing of her death.

Lydia Perkins, a freshman human health sciences major, said she was “really surprised.”

“It was out of nowhere, I feel like,” Perkins said. “I think everybody forgets that she was really old because she wasn’t really suffering from anything specific, so it was just very unexpected. I was really sad about it, but she lived a good life.”

The Queen’s death came as a shock to people all over the world, leaving many questions about what is going to happen in the British Parliament.

“Although it does seem devastating, it does seem time for her to pass on the baton,” Dylan Street, a freshman human health sciences major, said. “She has lived a long life and may she rest in peace.”

Tharanie Subramaniam, a sophomore computer engineering major, mentioned “issues with [the United Kingdom’s] government” and expressed curiosity about what is to come.

“It’s something that people have been talking about for a long time,” Subramaniam said.

Many people are still confused since the departure of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, from the royal family. In an interview with Oprah, Markle reviewed an instance of racism toward her unborn child. This provokes further thought into what really happens behind closed doors in Britain.

Britain’s next moves regarding government action are unclear, but all eyes are on King Charles III.

According to People Magazine, in a statement from the royal family, King Charles said, “The death of my beloved Mother, Her Majesty The Queen, is a moment of the greatest sadness for me and all members of my family.”

International feelings surrounding Queen Elizabeth’s death were predominantly glum, as her reign saw instances of colonization and imperialism; at the time of her death, The Queen was regent of 15 sovereign states.

According to ABC News, President Joe Biden said in a statement that Queen Elizabeth, “defined an era.” Other political leaders around the world had similar reactions.

CNN posted on Twitter yesterday afternoon that British Prime Minister Liz Truss said, “Queen Elizabeth II was the rock on which modern Britain was built. Our country has grown and flourished under her reign. Britain is the great country it is today because of her.”

Former U.S. President Barack Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama also released a statement saying, “Like so many of you, Michelle and I are grateful to have witnessed Her Majesty’s dedicated leadership, and we are awed by her legacy of tireless, dignified public service. Our thoughts are with her family and the people of the United Kingdom at this difficult time.”