‘We are there.’ UK offers resources to students after eastern KY flooding

Emily Girard

UK’s Office of Student Success has mobilized to provide support to eastern Kentucky after floods brought on by heavy rain Wednesday and Thursday. 

UK president Eli Capilouto explained in an email to campus that the office has been working to connect over 1,100 impacted students to the UK Counseling Center, provide them with housing and distribute other information on basic needs. The office will continue checking in with students in the coming days.

As of Saturday, July 30, 25 people have died in these floods, and the death toll is expected to rise, with more people still missing.

“It is painful to watch our state and community go through such a trying time,” Capilouto said in the email. “Yet, even in these darkest moments, I remain inspired by those who continually ask, ‘How can I help?’”

UK’s Extension, Human Resources and Risk Management offices are also coordinating aid to UK employees and other impacted colleges with facilities in the Lexington area. Additionally, UK HealthCare is collaborating with Appalachian Regional Healthcare and clinical partners in eastern Kentucky to distribute further aid.

This response comes only seven months after UK and the greater Lexington community distributed aid to students impacted by a tornado in western Kentucky in December 2021.

“I know that we — as a state and as a university — will meet this moment,” Capilouto said. “Where there is a need in our state and in our community, we are there.”

Those in need can contact the UK Center for Support and Intervention (CSI) at 859-257-3755, email [email protected] or call UK Health Corps at 859-218-SAFE. Capilouto also encouraged people to donate to UK’s Basic Needs and Persistence Fund and Crisis Program Gift Fund.