Todd to deliver campus update at Senate meeting

Today’s University Senate meeting will kick off a week of dialogue and decision-making among UK faculty and administration.

The meeting, which takes place from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Lexmark Public Room of the Main Building, is open to all students, faculty and staff. It will include presentations from university officials, including UK President Lee Todd.

Todd’s presentation, however, will be more of an update than a speech, said UK spokesman Jay Blanton.

“This is more of an opportunity for interaction with faculty leadership,” Blanton said in an e-mail to the Kernel.

Todd will be giving a “State of the Campus” address, in which he will give an update on UK’s progress toward its top-20 goals. Tomorrow, he will make a similar presentation to the Board of Trustees.

He will also discuss what will be presented at next year’s legislative session. At the 2008 legislative session, which begins in February, Todd will request funding for the university, some of which would be allotted for UK’s Top 20 Business Plan.

Todd will hold a question and answer session after the address, Blanton said. The floor will be open to all in attendance to ask Todd questions.

Also on the agenda for today’s Senate meeting is an overview for the next steps in reforming the University Studies Program.

The University Senate, comprised of 94 elected full-time faculty members, one student senator from each college and one elected emeritus professor, is responsible for making broad decisions on curricula and courses, including the USP credits required for all undergraduates.

The Senate must submit new academic programs to the Board of Trustees.