Criticizing films without watching them is unfair

I read a “Frame by Frame” article by Ricky Simpson in Friday’s features section of the Kernel. I was in awe that someone could write a review for a movie that they had not yet seen.

Simpson’s review of the movie “27 Dresses” was obviously negative. It is not fair to the movie or the potential audience to lay claims on a movie that the reviewer has not yet seen himself. Simpson even says, “I haven’t seen it, but I have a feeling…”

Sometimes, a movie is different than it is portrayed in a trailer or a clip, and watching the whole movie is needed to make a fair judgment. “27 Dresses” was a movie with substance, humility, humor, love and more. It was not just a romantic comedy that can be automatically assumed a specific way.

Another comment Simpson made was about “Mad Money.” “This comedy may have its moments, but it looks as if it will be forgettable,” he wrote. It is unjust to the film to give it a bad review and call it “forgettable” if the reviewer has not even seen the movie in the first place.

Many students on campus read the Kernel and take its opinions to heart. If the Kernel says that a movie is forgettable then why should students waste their money? What if that movie had turned out to be a box-office hit or just a pleasurable viewing?

The point I am trying to make is that you should know what you are talking about before you write about it. If you haven’t seen the movie, how can you really review it for the many students who rely on you?

Andrea Frye

Dietetics sophomore