Monologues offer open dialogue on femininity

By Kelly Wiley

Few personal thoughts will be left untouched at tomorrow’s performance of “The Vagina Monologues” as actors encourage students to think inside the box.

UK V-Day, part of a global movement to stop violence against women, will perform the play tomorrow and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in the Student Center’s Worsham Theater. Tickets are $10 for general admission and $7 for students.

“The Vagina Monologues” performance has two main goals, said Shea Leibfreid, organizer and one of four co-directors for the production. The first is to raise awareness about violence against women around the world, she said.

“The other goal,” Leibfreid said, “is to really encourage women to become in touch with their vaginas.”

“The more that they feel empowered to do that, the more they will speak out about violence against women,” she said.

The show covers a wide range of topics related to the female anatomy, including hair, sex, birth and rape.

The topics covered throughout the show are very diverse, said Santana Berry, director of UK’s performance. The play added a new act this year: “They Beat the Girl Out of My Boy … Or So They Tried,” which deals with transgender people. All the monologues featured come from interviews conducted by Eve Ensler, who wrote the play, Berry said.

“She got these really candid interviews and decided to turn it into a play to make it OK to have that open dialogue about being a woman and about your vagina and about things that aren’t brought up every day,” Berry said.

Even though the topics are geared toward women, Berry said she hopes that men will come as well. It could give them better insight and understanding into the inner workings of women — and a good laugh, she said.

Berry said she was happy to be bringing the show back to campus since it was not performed last year. The show has a lot of meaning to her as well.

“The timing of the show and being the director of this show is very sentimental for me because I was a victim of violence,” Berry said. “So stepping into this role of directing the play has helped me to get some of the power back.”

There will be a silent art auction prior to both performances. All proceeds from the auction and ticket sales will go to the Violence Intervention and Prevention Center at UK.