News Briefs

UK sorority adviser wins award

The Southeastern Panhellenic Association awarded the Greek Adviser of the Year award to Susan West, UK’s assistant dean of students, director of fraternity and sorority affairs and adviser for UK’s Panhellenic Council.

This is the second time West has won the award, which is based on experience, and a student’s application and recommendation essay. As Panhellenic Council adviser, she oversees 14 sororities, which have a total of about 2,000 members.

The UK Panhellenic Council was also awarded for its women’s issues programming, including a safety awareness session and an HPV informational session.

Session to draw interest for Alternative Spring Break

Students and staff interested in planning spring break service trips for next year can find out more information tonight in the Student Center. Five to six students and staff will share their experiences and show photos from this year’s Spring Break program.

One group traveled to Maryville, Tenn., for “Once Upon a Time in Appalachia,” where they learned about the culture and served the community with projects such as trail maintenance. The other group went to Albany, Ga., to help build houses.

The steering committee for next year’s UK Alternative Spring Break will choose new locations. The meeting will be in room 106, the Center for Student Involvement, at 8 p.m. It is open to students, staff and faculty interested in participating or joining the steering committee.