Beshear appoints alumni to UK Board

Gov. Steve Beshear appointed two UK alumni to positions on the UK Board of Trustees, replacing two members whose terms have expired.

For Britt Brockman, a Louisville eye surgeon and alumnus of the UK College of Pharmacy, being a member of the board is “an honor he gets to experience a second time around.”

“I sat on the Board of Trustees as the student representative during my time in ‘81 and ‘82 as student body president,” Brockman said. “When I left that year I vowed to give back to UK just part of what it has given to me and I’m really excited about this opportunity to do that.”

Brockman, who received a medical degree from the University of Louisville, was selected by the governor from a list of nominees from the bi-partisan Postsecondary Education Nominating Committee. While he has a passion for healthcare, particularly healthcare for Kentucky citizens, he said he will start his six-year term without any biased views.

“I think its best for a new board member to come into the position with an open mind, without any preconceived notions of issues on the table,” Brockman said. “I don’t come in with an agenda or claim to know all the issues that we will deal with, but I plan to learn.”

Brockman said he also takes a strong interest in Student Affairs and issues of concern for students because of his time at UK.

“I get passionate about student issues and I won’t hesitate to address anything or any problem that might come up,” he said. “I certainly didn’t hesitate when I was a student here.”

Brockman replaces Billy Wilcoxson whose term on the board has expired.

Jo Hern Curris, director of Spouse Programs for the American Association of State Colleges and Universities in Washington, D.C., was the second appointment made by the governor late last week. She will represent UK alumni and was selected from a list of nominees from the UK Alumni Association.

Curris, of Chevy Chase, Md., received her bachelor’s degree in political science and economics and a Juris Doctorate from the UK. She replaces Myra Leigh Tobin whose term on the board expired.

Both new appointments will serve on the Board of Trustees until June 30, 2014.

Board member Frank Shoop’s term was extended until June of 2014. Shoop, of Georgetown, Ky., has served on the board since 1991.

Of the 20 members of the Board of Trustees, 16 are appointed by the governor, two are elected UK faculty representatives, one is an elected UK staff representative and one is the president of Student Government.