Not knowing what to do with your diploma isn’t the end of the world

As the final week of the semester approaches and the end draws near, I’m reminded of my final semester as a student at UK, which ended in a bittersweet moment — graduation.

Last spring, I donned my cap and gown at the College of Agriculture graduation, which was bright and early at 8 a.m. on a Sunday, walked across the stage at Rupp Arena, and said my final “good-bye” to life in undergrad land, all while my family clapped and cheered. It was one of three times I’ve actually seen my father cry, the other two times were at my high school graduation, and then again at my brother’s high school graduation.

My family couldn’t have been more proud of me, but at the same time, in one of their proudest moments and in what should have been mine, I felt like I had failed. Why? Because my final minutes as a student at UK had no direction toward the next step in my life.

It took me five years to graduate from the university, not because of failed classes or apathy, but because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. For the first four years of college, I was certain I wanted to be a physician, and I was positive my agricultural biotechnology degree would lead me to medical school. But somewhere in the middle of a semester, which was crammed with biochemistry, physics and molecular biology, I got burned out on science — surprise, surprise. As an escape, I added a major that allowed me to do something that I love; take photos. So, when I should have been wrapping up one degree, I added another major and started my fifth year as an undergraduate.

And, of course, I fell in love with journalism. I started working at the Kernel writing articles and taking pictures, and moved my way up in the ranks, and landed as the assistant features editor my final semester. And now, I’m the features editor.

But this semester will also mark another bittersweet end. Monday will be my final day as the features editor for the Kentucky Kernel. And I’m still no closer to figuring out what I want to do with my life. I’m a UK graduate with a full-time job, who is not enrolled in any graduate program, and I still work with undergraduates at the Kernel. Why? Because, honestly, I am no closer to figuring out what I want to do with my life.

I’m still fighting the same battle I was last semester, and I’ve realized this is OK. It’s not the end of the world. In 1999, Baz Luhrmann released a single called, “Wear Sunscreen,” which has a line that sums up the teeter-totter direction of my life: “Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don’t.”

If I spend every waking hour of my day fretting about what I’ll be doing when I’m 50, I’d wake up every day dreading life. I’ll figure out what I want to do, and I’ll take the steps I need to get there. I know what I don’t want to do, and for right now, that’s enough for me.

So, to the future alumnus of UK who will walk across the graduation stage in the next couple of weeks, don’t fret if you aren’t walking toward a professional or graduate school, or a laid out career. It’s not the end of the world. Just make sure you wear sunscreen.