Ky. native opens up Student Affairs forum series

By Taylor Moak

UK will welcome home one of the Commonwealth’s own for a forum Thursday.

David Parrott, originally of Jeffersontown, Ky., a suburb of Louisville, is one of four final candidates for the university’s vice president of student affairs position.

In his cover letter to the members of the search, Parrott said, “the prospect of returning to Kentucky is exciting.”

Parrott has worked at Texas A&M University for nine years and currently serves as executive associate vice president and dean of student life.

According to Texas A&M’s student newspaper, The Battalion, Parrott stepped in as interim after former Vice President of Student Affairs Dean Bresciani was forced to resign in the summer of 2008.

Matt Woolbright, assistant managing editor at The Battalion, said students are not really familiar with Parrott because he has been “overshadowed by the drama” of Bresciani’s forced resignation.

After serving as interim, Parrott did not have the opportunity to apply for the vice president of student affairs position, Woolbright said.

Bill Stackman, a UK alumnus and director of student activities at Texas A&M, has worked with Parrott for several years. As executive vice president, Parrott oversees all areas in divisions of Student Affairs.

“All departments report to Dave … and all directors report through Dave,” Stackman said.

Parrott has looked at areas that overlap and increased communication between divisions, Stackman said, and Parrott has the “knowledge, wisdom, and leadership” for the job at UK.

“(I) couldn’t think of anyone who would be a better vice president at my alma mater,” Stackman said.

C.J. Woods, assistant vice president of student affairs at Texas A&M, has worked with Parrott for four years. Woods said Parrott has been a “stabilizing force” at Texas A&M in student conduct, diversity and risk management practices.

Parrott worked at numerous universities before Texas A&M. According to his resume, Parrott served as the assistant vice president of student affairs and associate dean of students at Western Michigan University.

Parrott also served as assistant dean of students, assistant to the vice president of student affairs and director of residence life at Western Kentucky University.

Parrott told Woolbright that his trip to Kentucky is “exploratory” and he wants to see if UK’s plans for student affairs matches what he wants to do.

Texas A&M’s student body president, Kolin Loveless, worked with Parrott on the ( Texas A&M) Presidential Search Committee.

“(Parrott has been) a pleasure to work with: very professional, very fun,” Loveless said in a statement to Woolbright. “I think it would be a loss to Texas A&M if he left. But he is definitely deserving of that position, so I wish him the best.”