Student input important for open position

Kernel Editorial

Campus, guess what? It’s cool to care again. We know it’s hard, what with the harsh weather and all. Classes have started up, your schedules are filling up and you don’t know when you’ll have time to catch up on last season’s “LOST” before the premiere tonight.

We have a proposition for you, though.

On Friday, the Kernel ran an article regarding the narrowing down of candidates for the open vice president for Student Affairs position. This position, once filled, will affect anyone who sees themselves attending UK next year.

This person will make decisions that affect each and every student who attends this university. From parking to meal plans, Greek life and student involvement, the vice president for Student Affairs will oversee every aspect of student life. It only makes sense that you, the student, gets to know who might be shaking things up for you in the next few years.

Luckily, the university is giving both the students and the candidates a chance to get to know each other.

In an e-mail sent out to the university on Thursday, Provost Kumble Subbaswamy informed the campus of the four candidates who had been selected to come to campus and listed the dates of the four forums that students and staff could attend. The first forum scheduled for Jan. 28 with David Parrot of Texas A&M University, and students, faculty and staff should make it a priority to attend.

Like we said, it’s cool to care again. At least, we’d like to see students care about this issue. The Office of Student Affairs and the position of vice president for Student Affairs — one spot below Provost Subbaswamy — are the administrative point of contact for students.

Get informed, give feedback. Let us know what you think of the candidates. Attend the forums and write in. If you’ll be attending UK in the fall, get to know these candidates. The Kernel plans to be there. Hopefully you do, too.