Fowl Play: South Carolina students crow over athletic supremacy

Patrick Patterson and DeAndre Liggins guard Devan Downey during the first half of their first loss of the season,68-62, to the Gamecocks at Colonial Life Arena on Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2010. Photo by Britney McIntosh

The University of South Carolina Student Senate boasted the victories over the UK basketball and football teams in a letter sent to the Kernel; The Daily Gamecock, the University of South Carolina student newspaper; and UK Student Government.

South Carolina has defeated UK in basketball for three straight games and in football for 11 straight games.

The letter, signed by the South Carolina Student Body President and President of the Senate also mocked the UK mascot as being unoriginal and offered aid to the ‘wounded egos’ of UK fans.

An excerpt of the letter reads, “ … WHEREAS, any University of South Carolina major athletic program is far superior to any Kentucky will ever put together, AND WHEREAS, our mascot is both original and awesome and not just some duplicate of more than eight other Universities … AND BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that even under budget duress, we will provide tissues and bandages for the wounded egos, hearts and minds of wildcat nation … “

Despite those taunts, UK Student Government President Ryan Smith said the UK SG Senate would not draft a resolution as a response.

“They’re enjoying their 10 minutes of fame and being cocky just like their mascot,” Smith said. “Every once and a while you get lucky. Props to Devan Downey, he played his heart out.”

But Smith, in response to the letter, did note UK’s achievements so far.

“Just like (Paul) ‘Bear’ Bryant said, ‘We act like we’ve been here before,’ and we’re gracious in victory and defeat. We’re 21-1, they’re 13-8 and we’re proud of our record, our basketball team and all of our sports at UK. After that game I read a good quote that said ‘People don’t remember you lost in January if you win in April.’ We’ve got a great team this year and I’m looking forward to the rest of the season.”

Alex Stroman, the South Carolina Student Senate president, said the resolution was passed in good humor because the presidents of both schools had recently met at the Southeastern Conference Exchange, a program that allows Student Government presidents to meet and exchange ideas.

Stroman said he was hesitant at first, but doesn’t worry about the resolution becoming locker room material.

“My biggest worry was that we still have to go back to Rupp,” Stroman said. “While I think Devan Downey is the best player in the nation, it’s going to be tough. But if it provides locker room fodder, we’ll just make sure Devan Downey is ready to play.”

More coverage at 50.63.25.108

Check out video responses by the student governments of UK and South Carolina online  and send us your letters to the editor and video responses to [email protected].