An early start

Mark Kornbluh, the dean of Arts and Sciences, and administration finishes off a run with the ROTC cadets at PT on Monday, April 5, 2010. Photo by Britney McIntosh

A rhythmic call and response chorus broke the quiet of the moonlit Cats Path of Central Campus early Monday morning.

“Left. Left. Lefty, right-left. Left. Left. Lefty, right-left.”

Amidst a sea of uniform military gray and white T-shirts, the sweat-drenched ‘AweSome’ T-shirt of College of Arts and Sciences Dean Mark Kornbluh stuck out like a sore thumb.

Kornbluh, his assistant, Amy Hisel, and other administrators woke up around 6 a.m. to complete a three-mile run with UK’s Air Force and Army ROTC to kick off the seventh annual Arts and Science Week, this year called AweSome Week.

The administrators smiled through their sweat and quietly maintained pace with ROTC cadets as the time-keeping chant floated back to the Buell Armory.

The run was a great way to link the ROTC with the Arts and Sciences administration, said Maj. Marcos Alaniz.

“Not everyone is dedicated enough to wake up this early to run with us,” Alaniz said.

Kornbluh said before the run he was concerned he would not be able to keep up with the pace, but he managed to stay in the middle of the pack and got a chance to talk with some of the students.

Charles Hoffman, a senior and battalion commander of the Army cadets, said the event went well.

“It was a pleasure having the dean run with us,” he said.

At the end of the 30-minute run around campus, Kornbluh stood at the front of the formation, thanking the cadets for waking up to run with him.

“It’s been a beautiful morning spent with a really inspirational group of students,” Kornbluh said. “I did much better than I thought I would do, but we’ll see how well I’m doing at 5 o’clock this evening.”

For a complete list of the College of Arts and Sciences’ AweSome Week events, visit www.as.uky.edu.