Service fraternity hosts tournament as fundraiser

By Allison Fister

Students in the midst of studying for a dreaded final have an excuse to take a quick break from the books and toss a few bags.

Alpha Phi Omega will host a cornhole tournament Wednesday at 5 p.m. The community service-based fraternity decided to host this event to bring campus together using a tailgating pastime many students enjoy, said psychology junior Chelsea Kirk.

“We try to bring the campus community together,” Kirk said.

The tournament is a fundraiser for Alpha Phi Omega. The money raised will help the fraternity with operational expenses and for various community service activities for following semesters.

According to the Alpha Phi Omega’s website, some of the organizations the fraternity works with include God’s Pantry, March of Dimes, and The Hope Center. While community service is a staple for the group, Kirk said, the cornhole tournament is a new idea.

“This is something we have never done,” Kirk said. “The chapter felt it would be a good way to raise money and help the campus join together and have some fun.”

The tournament is open to students, faculty and staff. Registration for a team of two is $5. Teams may register prior to the event by e-mailing Amie Sparks at [email protected].

Early registration is not required and registration will open at 4:30 p.m. for anybody to come and register to play. The tournament will begin at 5 p.m.

There is no limit to how many teams can play in the event. The more teams that register, the more fun everyone will have participating in the competition, Kirk said.

“It will be a good way for students to blow off steam from the stress of studying,” Kirk said.

The competition is expected to last about two hours. Prizes will be given to winning teams. The first place team members will each receive a baseball cap signed by members of the UK basketball team.