UK holds events for kids and alumni

By Gary Hermann

Tuesday’s Homecoming events will allow students to hear Wildcats of all ages “Roaring through the Decades.”

Both alumni and children from the Lexington community have an event scheduled to connect with the student body.

Kitty Karnival and the Mo’ Betta Basketball Game are looking to build on years of success at Homecoming.

According to the Student Activities Board, student organizations create carnival games and booths at Kitty Karnival for local children to come enjoy as a kick-off to the fall season.

The event will be held from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on South Campus.

“In its fifth year, the Karnival is becoming both a campus and community tradition,” said Jaclyn Hawkins, Student Activities Board director of Traditions. “Last year, 40 student organizations created small carnival games for children of the community to enjoy.”

According to a UK press release, “This year, children are invited to wear their Halloween costumes as part of the Karnival theme, “Where Little Ghosts and Goblins Come to Play.”

“The Karnival is a great service-oriented event, as it’s never too early to get kids on our campus,” Hawkins said.

Points for Wildcat Cup can be earned at Kitty Karnival.

Street parking is available in accordance with regular UK parking restrictions and in the Parking Structure #7 for a fee.

In the event of rain, the event will move to the Student Center Harris Grand Ballroom and for a fee Parking Structure #5 will be available.

After UK hosts kids on Tuesday, it will welcome back some former students.

The Black Student Union will host the 20th annual Mo’ Betta Basketball Game in Alumni Gym from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

“Last year, the Alumni took the bragging rights, so the students are out for revenge this year,” said Unique N. Young, Black Student Union vice-president.

The game itself will not be the only entertainment.

“There will also be a half time show included,” Young said, “as well as a DJ for the event.”