Homecoming Week begins Saturday

By Nicole Schladt

UK students will bring elements of past decades to campus next week.

The 2010 Homecoming Week, which Student Activities Board has helped organize, begins Saturday when several organizations will “Paint the Town Blue,” creating murals on the windows throughout Lexington. The goal of this event is to share the UK spirit with the community, according to the SAB website.

DanceBlue has organized a community 5K walk or run for Sunday afternoon to benefit the Pediatric Oncology Clinic at the UK Medical Center.

Other activities on campus during Homecoming Week include a student vs. alumni basketball game, a fall carnival for local children and the National Pan-Hellenic Council’s annual step show. One of the more anticipated events of the week, however, is the sold out concert next Thursday featuring Jason Derulo and B.o.B.

“Homecoming is a really exciting time to be a Wildcat,” said Sarah Ausmus, philosophy junior and president of SAB. “It’s a time to come together and celebrate bleeding blue.”

Homecoming game festivities begin next Saturday before UK football plays the University of Georgia.

The Homecoming parade begins at 9 a.m. Saturday and will feature student-made floats. The UK cheerleaders are expected to make an appearance at the parade.

The Homecoming king and queen will receive their crowns at halftime of the football game.

“We all have so many different college experiences,” Ausmus said. “Homecoming is an opportunity to really rally together and share these experiences with everybody.”

The Black Student Union, the NPHC, the Inter-Greek Programming Assembly and the Center for Community Outreach also helped organize the events. For a complete listing of the week’s events, visit, www.uksab.org.