Driving service on hold for city’s evaluation

By Becca Clemons

Details are still being worked through for the Student Government driving program that would provide a new service for students on and off campus.

SG sponsored the program to provide students with safe transportation to and from UK’s campus and surrounding areas Thursday through Sunday nights from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m.

However, homeowners in the community have expressed concerns about potential disturbances in the middle of the night, Diane Lawless, 3rd District Lexington city councilwoman, said.

“The feedback I’m getting from people is that most of them are in agreement that [the driving program] can be a good thing, but the concerns are [about] going down residential streets that are pretty narrow anyway and stopping right by peoples’ homes every half hour from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m.,” Lawless said.

To address these concerns, a tour of the proposed routes is planned for Wednesday with members of the Lexington community, members of SG and representatives of LexTran, she said.

SG Deputy Chief of Staff Max Stefka said the tour will happen in one of the actual vehicles that would be serving the routes.

“I’m hopeful that the driving tour will clear up some questions and concerns different people have and possibly make some changes to the route so that it accomplishes what it needs to accomplish,” Lawless said. “And that is to get [students] home safely … without it being too disruptive to the people who live on the streets.”

The tour will give a representation of what an actual route would be like when it would pick up and drop off students, Stefka said.

Lawless said she has received feedback suggesting that the routes travel the major roads around the area, rather than small residential streets, to accomplish the same goal but with less disruption problems.

“I think there are more questions than answers right now,” she said.