Ensembles to perform classics famous and new

By Eva McEnrue

UK’s chorale and chorister ensembles will give the campus a taste of their talents Tuesday night.

The ensembles will perform the Chorale and Choristers Fall Concert at the Singletary Center for the Arts.

Directed by Jeff Johnson, the event will feature a wide variety of musical styles performed a cappella, with piano accompaniment and with the Niles String Quartet, UK’s premiere string players group.

The Choristers, co-conducted by choral conducting graduate students Sammy Miller and Greg Monsma, is the oldest performing organization on campus. The 80-voice mixed choir consists of underclassmen representing an array of majors. The group will be singing a balance of serious and light music.

“The Choristers will be performing works by Mozart accompanied with the string quartet,” Johnson said. “It is a beautiful piece and singing Mozart is not easy.”

UK’s Chorale ensemble, co-conducted by choral conducting graduate student Vrock Terry, is a 50-voice mixed advanced choir consisting mainly of upperclassmen music majors. The group will perform works by J.S. Bach and the contemporary sacred a cappella piece “Stabat Mater” by Transylvania University faculty member and composer Greg Partain.

“The piece is unpublished and has been heard by very few people,” Johnson said.

The evening will close with a group performance of “My Old Kentucky Home” and recognition to the graduating seniors.

“Anyone who went to a high school choir concert should come to a college choir concert. The level of talent and ability is significantly different, like high school basketball to college basketball,” Johnson said.

The concert is at 7:30 p.m. and a preshow performance by the student ensemble, Blue Note, will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the lobby.